Sunday, August 10, 2014

Primer día

(First day)

Saturday, August 2,  between 9 and 10 pm

At the airport, I couldn't see Jeronimo, my host brother who was going to pick me up, so I changed some cash into Argentine pesos to call my host family.  As soon as I did that though, Jero came up to me. "Marcos?"
"Si!"
So Jeronimo drove me to the house. There I met Pia and Sophia, my host sister and another exchange student that is living here, respectively. Jeronimo and I then went across the street to Decks,va small bar that the oldest brother in my host family owns. That's where I met my host mother and father, and Juana and Sole, the oldest brother and oldest sister (they don't live in the house anymore, but visit often since they live nearby).  I gave them the small gift I brought for them- a picture frame- and where Jeronimo picked up two orders of food for us. As we were returning to the house, Pia and Sophia were on their way out. So Jero and I ate our food- a steak sandwich with fries- and I got settled in and Jero and I talked a bit while watching a movie on TV. The parents came back and we talked a little about rules and expectations, and then I eventually got to sleep. 

Sunday, August 3

I woke up at around 9 or 10, and everyone was still sleeping! It's because Pia and Sophia went out al boliche (to party) and didn't get home till early morning and Jero had also gone out afterwards. Soon enough, my host mother came and showed me where to find breakfast in the morning. She prepared a sort of omelet for everyone. She had asked me last night if I was Catholic or Protestant, and she had looked up a church for me to check out.  So I set out to explore the town and search for this church, but I apparently passed it by a long shot.  Almost getting lost, I just turned around and eventually made it back home.  I'll find it later.

Crossing this bridge meant I had gone too far. 
Other side of the bridge



A couple of hours later, everyone started preparing for Pia's party.  She was turning 23 tomorrow, so there was going to be a house party to celebrate. Pia asked Sophia to go to the store and buy Fernet and Coke, so I asked Sophia if she wanted me to go with her. 1-safety in numbers, 2-I could start to get to know her 3-I could get to know a little more of the city. So we talked and got to know each other on the way to the store. We brought empty bottles of Coke, and when we leave them at the store, there's a discount on the Coke we're going to buy. We got back and celebrated in el quincho- a room characterized by the grill in the wall. I gave Pia the gift I brought for her-lotions and creams- I think she liked it.  A lot of people came! The family provided food and the guests had to bring drinks. That said, there was a lot of alcohol! I just drank Coke. One of the guys told me I'd live longer for that. We ate pizza and empanadas criollas. I love them!!!

Pia's boyfriend making pizza. He's good!



Empanadas Criollas are filled with meat.
 There are other types too
Empanadas-like a dumpling? just better!


















We celebrated until midnight, when we sang Happy Birthday to Pia. There were 3 different kinds of cakes- one made of condensed milk, another being a cheesecake, and the third being a pound cake of sorts.  They were all delicious! Soonafter I helped clean up a bit and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment