Saturday, August 16, 2014

Anime No Ibento Yokatta!!!!!



(Japanese: I like anime conventions!)

Today the highlight of my day was supposed to be me finally getting a cell phone.  It wasn't. This morning as I was eating breakfast, I was interested to see people cosplaying on the cover of the newspaper.  Cosplayers are people who make and dress up in costumes based off of their favorite fictional characters. Apparantly there was an Anime Convention in town today.  Now if you didn't know already, you will know know that Anime is a bit of a hobby of mine. I had always wanted to go to one in the States, but they would be so expensive and I wouldn't be able to go. Oh well.

Later, I was planning on going to the dinosaur mall to buy a cell phone after lunch. However, when I found out that my friends Tatsuki and Keisuke were going to the Anime Convention, I asked if I could join them.  They said sure! So I went to the dino and got my phone, came back and had lunch, sported my Teen Titans shirt (closest thing to anime I had here) and then set off for the meeting place. 

I wasn't entirely sure where it was, so I asked the bus driver if he knew, and he was really nice. He said "sit up here and I'll tell you when we get there." So that was good.  When we got to Espacio Quality, the location of the event, we had to pay 55 pesos to get in (Roughly $5.50 compared to the $150+ you pay in the US) There was an indoor and an outdoor section. Indoors, there were mainly people selling merchandise, as you can see below. I wanted to buy so many things! In the end, I guess it was wise of me not to have brought a lot of money.


Outside there were some other vendors, but not nearly as many.  It was mainly room for the cosplayers to take pictures and strut their stuff.  I took a lot of pictures with my favorites.


Miku Hatsune- Vocaloid


Rin Kagamine-Vocaloid


Brock, Ash, and Misty- Pokémon


Sakura Kiinomoto and Syaoran Li-
Cardcaptor Sakura


Satsuki Kiruuin wearing Senketsu- Kill la Kill



Inuyasha


Powerpuff Girls



After a couple of hours, I had lost Tatsuki and Keisuke, but I had found Joanna, a friend of my tutor's who I met at the boliche last weekend. I also got to know her friends, who had seen a lot of the same series I had. It was pretty fun to have someone to talk to about some things that I usually don't have the chance to talk about.  Soon enough, I find Tatsuki and Keisuke again, and they found Valentin! He had been outside for an hour because he didn't bring money to enter (he thought it was free)! Reunited with my buddies, we enjoyed the rest of the convention together. Inside there was also a stage, where the Spanish voice actress for Sakura was speaking, where they did martial arts, folkloric music and where someone was singing some of our favorite themesongs- She sang one of my absolute favorites: Zankoku na Tenshi no Teze!!!!



Tatsuki, Valentin, and Keisuke
Everything was fantastic. I had always heard from my friends that the thrill of meeting new people and connecting because of their common interest in a series. And I experienced that-in Spanish! It was pretty neat.

After that, we went to the bus stop and waited for the bus to take us downtown.  We waited 10 minutes or so, and when the bus came, the driver said that we should be at the stop across the street. So we crossed the street and waited another 10 minutes. The bus just wasn't coming. So we crossed the street again and tried to hail a cab, and as we were doing that, we saw the bus show up, load and head out!!! Noooooooo! Sigh, so we finally got a Remis (green taxi, more secure) to take us downtown, where we went to the artisan's fair.  There was booth after booth full of crafts that these artisans were selling.  It was pretty cool!




 We met Paola and her friend Agustin there, and eventually we left.  The others went to a restaurant bar called Be Happy.  I was going to eat with my host family, so I said goodbye and took a taxi home.  Once home, I took a shower and helped set up the table. We had leftover meat from the asado last night with some salad.  I watched a movie on TV with my host family and then went to my room to go to sleep. What a day!












No comments:

Post a Comment