Sunday, August 24, 2014

Last day! Don't cry for me, Argentina!

Today is our last day in Buenos Aires. This morning we had to pack and check out of the hotel. We were anxious because it started raining. Elsa said Buenos Aires is crying because it's our last day. From there we went to la Casa Rosada, and took a tour of it. I've never been to the White House, so I can't compare, but this presidential house was impressive. At the entrance there were paintings of important Latin American figures, and once the tour started, we went through many different rooms like the original towns room- where the history of the indigenous people of Latin America was displayed, the woman room- honoring many important women in Argentine history, the patio of palms-a courtyard with four palm trees in it, the balcony where the presidents talk to the people and where Madonna sang "Don't cry for me Argentina",  the white room where many presidents assumed the presidency, the north room where agreements are made, the south room for informal events and the presidential office. Then the tour ended in the hall of busts-as the name implies, it's a hall full of busts of important people.

Casa Rosada
Original Towns Room - Latin American Artists Room
Argentine Woman Room - Patio de las Palmas
Presidential Balcony
White Room - Hall of Busts
Casa Rosada




Don't cry f or me Argentina!



From there, we went to the bicentennial museum, right next to the Casa Rosada. In it, we learned the history of Argentina and saw some important national paintings and a mural art basement (hard to explain-just imagine it! ) It was interesting.

Then we went to have lunch...more meat. I think I will be a vegetarian for a while! Afterwards, we went to the San Telmo fair. It's like a flea market, just with artisan and antique items. We were supposed to go to another one, but not many people set up because it had rained in the morning. So instead we went to the cemetery in the Recoleta to visit Evita's grave. She was buried with her family, in the Duarte grave. (It was interesting to see my last name in the tomb! )





Then we went shopping at two different malls to wait for the bus. I had dinner at the food court-a sandwich from a French restaurant.Elsa tasted it and assured me that it was good enough to pass as French.
Then we went to the bus, hopped on and got ready for a long ride home. Franklin and I discovered some headphone jacks and that a fútbol game was going on. Santi quickly asked to borrow my headphones, since his team was playing. If was fun to see him on the edge of his seat, and celebrating with every goal! The movie playing was Pompeii. Pretty good. I got some sleep, and later woke up in Córdoba.  I went home in a taxi with Lucile and Weston, since we live relatively close together.  This was a good weekend.  I can't wait to go back to Buenos Aires someday. I cannot wait.

Even Paola ran out of energy!


No comments:

Post a Comment