Sunday, August 10, 2014

FIRST FLIGHT REACTION!!!!!

Friday, August 1, 2014

So the day had finally come.  There was excitement. There was angst. It was the day that I leave the United States to study in Argentina, as an exchange student between Samford University and Universidad Blas Pascal.
There was a sign for Samford at the airport, 
right next to the American Airlines line. 
Coincidence? Symbolism? 
When God ties up the loose ends, 
little details like this make the world a better place.
The fact that I was getting on a plane and going to live in a different country for four months still wasn't real for me.  When my family and I got to the airport, and I had my bag weighed, and I got in line to get checked by the TSA, even when I hugged my family goodbye and sat down to wait for the flight, it wasn't clicking.

I talked with my family on Tango for a bit, but then my flight was announced. So I made sure I had my things and I followed down the hallway towards the plane.  I flew once when I was 2 months old- there's photographic evidence-- but I was 2 months old! This was my first flight. My first trip out of the country, my first time away from home and family for an extended period of time. I got on the plane and found my seat. It was a small plane, and I had a window seat.

It clicked.  

All of the sudden I was really nervous! What am I doing!? Will I be okay? I think a big part of it was also my concern that my fear of heights would make me miserable on this flight.  Then the person who sat next to me sat down, introduced himself and asked me what I was going to do in Miami.  I told Robert that I was on my way to Argentina, to study for a semester. He was going to go fishing with his family in Miami.  So the plane took off, he asked me if it was my first time flying, and when I said yes, he gave me protips and I felt better. 


Taking off was smooth, looking down at the clouds was AMAZING!!! I wanted to walk on them, but that would be a bad idea. But still, I was amazed.  The flight was not bad at all. Except for landing.  Ears popping and heart racing, I thought this was as far as I would go! Robert told me to squeeze my nose and blow, as well as to swallow often, and that helped too.


The plane landed. And then I was in Miami.









No comments:

Post a Comment