Sunday, August 10, 2014

Adios, North America!

Still Friday, August 1

At the Miami International Airport, I had to look for Gate 22. I found it using the SkyTrain. Skytrain? Miami's airport is so much bigger than Birmingham's!  Sure, these are the only airports I've been in so far, but still- Wow!
Inside the Skytrain










...Sorry. I'm easily impressed.

Anyway, once I found out where I was supposed to be, I decided to find some lunch and call my family to let them know I got to Miami ok.  So I took out my service-less wifi dependent phone (why is it service-less? I'm going to get it unlocked and use it with an Argentine SIM card) and tried to connect.

What? you have to pay to use this wifi!? That was news to me.  So I tried using the payphones, 'cause it would be cheaper.  They weren't working... I tried borrowing someone's phone, but that didn't work either.  Finally I find a nice little coffeeshop that had some wifi to lend me. I talked to my folks, breifly about my first flight, and then about my next one.  I had to buy a charger cable and gum before leaving. From there, I booked it to the gate and got on the plane.

Like the airport, this plane was a lot bigger than the other one.  I found my seat and took it.  This time I was in the middle of the middle row, near the middle of the plane too. The person who sat to my left is French.  I heard him say "merci" and I started to speak to him in French!  He was a Parisian, going to Peru to vacation. O yeah. That's the next leg of my journey.  I went from Birmingham to Miami, am going from Miami to Lima, Peru, and then I'll fly overnight from Lima to Córdoba Argentina.

Because the flight was a good length of time, we got snack mixes and then later a meal.  It was lasagna! Pretty good, if you ask me. The bathroom is small and really loud.
Every 10 minutes or so, the screen would show where we were on our flight path.  At 8:05 pm we had past Panama, and were flying next to Cali, Colombia.  Hi Juli!

The flight was still far from done, so I started to talk to the person to my right.  He was from California and works at nVidea, from what I understood, in or near silicon valley. He, his wife and kids are going to vacation in Peru and Ecuador.  He told me he wishes he knew more Spanish. I told him it's never too late to learn!

It was finally time to land.  I had used gum taking off and I got some now as we landed.  This time things were much better! Thanks mom for the tip.

The screen showing our location on the flight path.  We've reached our destination
Now I was in Lima, Peru. What adventures wait for me here?

No comments:

Post a Comment