Friday, September 12, 2014

Day at the Museums

Today I went to visit some of the museums in this city.  There are many museums in Córdoba, so last week (when the volleyball game and picnic were cancelled) I planned out my day today.  I would go to five museums today- The Religious Museum of Fray Jose Antonio de San Alberto, The Juan Tejeda Museum of Religious Art, the Historical Provincial Museum of the Marques of Sobremonte, The Genaro Perez Museum of Fine Arts, and the Historical Museum of the UNC.  So for the first one:  It took me a while to find the Religions Museum, since it's hidden on the side of a church. I finally found it.  It was a small museum...originally a home for orphaned girls that this bishop made.  I was only allowed to take pictures in the courtyard, and of the plaque on his tomb. The guide showed me the kitchen, the craft room, the prayer room, and explained how life was here. It was interesting. 











Then I went a couple of blocks to the Juan de Tejeda Museum of Religious Art. The museum was easier to find than the other one, even though it is also attached to a church.  The museum is part of the old San Jose de las Carmelitas Descalzas Monastery (pictured below the entrance of the museum). It was also kind of small, and once again, I could only take pictures in the courtyard.  This museum showcases almost 200 pieces of religious art, from figures of the virgin Mary to portable altars, crosses and ceremonial robes. On the walls, many quotes from Mother Teresa were written, and the view from the courtyard is beautiful.  There are palm trees there, as well as other foliage, and you can see the cathedral from there. The brochure says that this is the same view that the nuns in the 1700s saw. All in all, it was a pretty neat place.

The view that the nuns saw.
You can see the Cathedral from here!
Only God is enough
















Historical Provincial Museum
Marques Sobremonte
Then I went to the Historical Provincial Museum of the Marques of Sobre Monte, also a couple of blocks away. This museum was interesting.  Once again, not what one thinks of a museum, but interesting nonetheless.  This used to be the house of the Marques of Sobremonte, Rafael Nuñez, the first governor of colonial Córdoba. Again, only pictures of the courtyards outside. Inside, there were fancy 18th century rooms- the study, the living room, the prayer room, the music room- all very elegant.  Upstairs were the men's and women's bedrooms.  The ornate wooden and golden beds were fantastic.  As I moved on and passed the Courtyard of Honor, where a 200 year old tree stands firmly, I found the kitchens, the armory, and the slaves' quarters.  The slaves slept on sackcloths full of hay, or on a net of wood or animal skin woven on the bedframe.  A stark difference from the beds upstairs. However, it seems that the slaves in Córdoba weren't there for field work.  They were artisans, welders, carpenters, and house slaves. This museum was interesting.


The tree in the middle of the courtyard is over 200 years old
and still gives fruit





Genaro Perez
Then I went to the Genaro Perez Museum of Fine Arts. I was finally allowed to take pictures!  The museum is named after one of Córdoba's influential artists, Genaro Perez. When I entered, the guard told me that the lower level is the main collection, and the upper level are the exhibitions that change. Downstairs, there was a room with the art of Genaro.  He was a pretty good painter.  My favorite work was the ceiling of the room. There were also sculptures and other kinds of art there.  This was more like the museums one would think about. There was a class of kinder-gardeners taking a tour of the museum as well.  I guess it's good to start appreciating art early.  It was pretty good.

The ceiling was painted by Genaro Perez.
I laid down on the floor to get it all!



Finally, I went to the Museum of the UNC (Universidad Nacional de Córdoba) However, they only do guided tours, and I didn't want to wait until the next one.  Some other day.  So I went home.  I really enjoyed visiting these museums.  It's fun not just partying and having fun, but also learning and doing educational things. Next week I'll go to more. 







No comments:

Post a Comment