Thursday, July 5, 2012

Galatians

Dear Galatians,

It's Paul, Christ's apostle.  Grace to you.  I'm surprised you guys have put aside the Gospel for "another" one, because THERE IS NO OTHER GOSPEL! Everyone who says otherwise should be cursed. But the Gospel I preach is the real one because I received it from Jesus Himself!
You've all heard my story-I was really mean to Christians and all about tradition. But when God, who had a plan for me since before my birth, showed me Jesus, I didn't go straight to see other people.  I stuck around Arabia and Damascus for 3 years before finally talking to Cephas (Peter) and James.  People in Jerusalem still didn't know me, they had just heard that a former persecuter is preachng the Gospel.  So God was glorified by their praise.

14 years later, I went back to Jerusalem with Titus and Barnabas because of a revelation I had.  I talked to the influential leaders- I shared the Gospel I had been sharing with the Gentiles.  I wanted to make sure I was not running or had not run in vain.  Even though false believers who came to spy on our freedom in Christ tried to trip us up, we didn't submit to them and Titus, who was greek, did not have to be circumcised--So the Gospel is preserved.  When Peter, James and John saw the grace of God in my life, they accepted Barnabas and me.
But Peter came to Antioch, I got on to him because he was in the wrong.  He was being hypocritical, eating with the Gentiles until his "circumcised crowd" showed up.  They were all so hypocritical that even Barnabas went astray.  So I told Peter in front of everyone, Hypocrite! How can you live like a Gentile and tell them to live like us?  We know we are justified by faith and not works, but, if I seek justification and keep sinning, does that make Jesus a supporter of sin? NO! For I am crucified with Christ, but I live; but not I, but He lives in me. I don't ignore the Gospel becaused if righteousness could be gained from the law, Christ died for nothing!

What's up with you guys!? Did you receive the Spirit by works or by faith? Those of faith are sons of Abraham, and God even preached the Gospel to Abraham since He knew He would justify all by faith.  The righteous live by faith since Christ took our curse under the law away.  Before faith, we were captive under the law, but now that faith is here, we are sons of God.  If you are Christ's, you are an heir under Abraham's promise.

As youg heirs, you used to be like slaves, since you were under your guardian until you inherit what is yours.  So we were slaves to the world, but when God sent His son under the law to redeem us from the law, we became adopted sons with the inheritance. 
You were also enslaved in worldy things before knowing God, but now that you do know Him, why are you turning back?  When I first preached to you, I was not well, but you accepted me as an angel from God.  What happened?  Don't forget the story of Hagar and Sarah.  Both had Abraham's kids, but one did according to flesh and the other did according to promise.  Hagar's son had no inheritance.  Remember we are the children of Freedom, because

Christ set us free.  Don't get yoked into sin again.  Walk in the Spirit, not by fleshy desires.  These two are opposite and if you try to pursue them both, you will get nowhere.  Works of the flesh are obvious, and they will keep you out of the Kingdom, but the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

So bear one another's burdens.  You reap what you sow.  Let's never grow weary of doing good, for in due season, we will reap, if we don't give up.  And circumcision doesn't matter; God's new creation in you does.  Those who focus on details like this want to boast in themselves.  I won't boast in anything but the Cross.

May the Grace of the Lord be with you.

_______________________________________________________________________

This is what I got out of Galatians.  It turned out a lot longer than Ephesians, even though both books are six chapters long.... I don't know if it's because of my sudden loss of summarizing skills or because God had a lot to say to me through this book... I'm leaning towards the second possibility.


Anyways, I think the three biggest ideas in this book are


1) There is no other Gospel but Jesus's. (This is what led to Paul's testimony in the first half of the book! Also, at first I didn't get why he mentioned his stay in Arabia and Damascus, but now I think He's emphasizing that he got the Gospel from Jesus, not a Christian leader in Jerusalem)


2) We are justified by our faith in Jesus, not by our actions. (This is where all the talk of circumcision became relevant.  Peter and the other Jews apparently thought everyone should be circumcised, according to the old traditions.  But Paul argues that this "action" will not bring salvation.)


3) Being freed by Jesus, let's not entangle ourselves again! (The verse I used yesterday came from this passage; don't use your freedom for fleshy desires, but love and serve one another.)


Like last time, if you have any questions or comments, comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment